Mission Year is an organization that recognizes the fact that Christian service and discipleship should be a year-long program. Anyone 18 years old and above has the unique experience to undergo this year-long program and take into heart Jesus’ teaching to “Love the Lord your God, and love your neighbor as yourself.” Mission Year determines areas that are in need and their teams are assigned to these areas, helping people and creating communities along the way. Check out this post for more information:
What is your organization’s name?
What is your name and what is your affiliation with the organization?
Nate Martin City Director Philadelphia
Please tell us a little bit about you.
I grew up in Indiana and ended up in Philadelphia to attend grad school. Since then I have fallen in love with Philadelphia and desire to continue to help Philadelphia to continue to become a greater and more loving city. My path to Philadelphia was because of Mission Year which I heard about through serving in Indiana as a college student at Purdue University. After serving in the Lafayette, Indiana area for a few years my wife and I decided to sell our cars and move our lives to Atlanta in order to spend a year serving with Mission Year and learning about the joys and struggles you find in a city. After Mission Year I attended Eastern University to earn an MBA in Urban Economic Development to help me to better serve others. Now as a city director I am able to help others to learn and love the city. I am also a part of a youth mentoring and youth flag football league called Timoteo located in West Kensington.
How / why did your organization start? (Background, History)
Our organization began in 1996 in Philadelphia and Oakland through a partnership with EAPE. Mission Year began in order to offer opportunities for young adults to serve in marginalized communities and to learn from and serve the communities they live and volunteer in. Through this year of volunteering and learning Mission Year hopes that people will better understand and live out the scripture of loving God and loving God’s people. There is also a timeline on the website http://missionyear.org/history/
What is your organization’s objective? (What does it do?)
Mission Year is a year long urban ministry program focused on Christian service and discipleship. We take teams of people, place them in an area of need, and help them to serve people and create community. We are committed to the command of Jesus to “love God and love people,” by placing the needs of our neighbors first and developing committed disciples of Christ with a heart for the poor
How long has the organization been around?
We are entering our 20th year as a organization
What kind of events / activities does your organization do?
- RELATIONSHIPS: Building deep relationships based on trust and respect with your neighbors, seeking practical ways to show Christian love.
- COMMUNITY LIVING: Sharing life in community with a supportive team of other Christians in an urban neighborhood.
- COMMUNITY SERVICE: Volunteering 25-30 hours a week at a social service agency that’s providing vital resources to the poor.
- DISCIPLESHIP: Drawing close to God by spending time deepening your own walk with Christ and developing spiritual disciplines.
- CHURCH PARTNERSHIP: Supporting God’s work in the city by partnering with a dynamic local church that’s engaging the community.
- SOCIAL JUSTICE: Seeking justice by learning to identify disparities in power and working creatively to bring resolution.
- SIMPLICITY: Living life without excess to better care for your neighbors and the environment around you.
How can people get in touch with your organization (or you)? (website,email, telephone etc)
Any messages to Philadelphia?
Let us continue to live out the name of our city and show love to one another.